Skip to main content

Merry Christmas - From an Atheist



The imaginary war on Christmas that many American Christians have invented as part of their persecution complex is, to me, somewhat comical.  I just wanted to give some of my thoughts on this faux war and describe what Christmas means to me.

I celebrate Christmas; in fact, I love Christmas.  Admittedly, it has no religious value to me whatsoever.  I doubt Jesus was ever a historical figure, and if his existence were proven to me I would be uninterested in this revelation because there is no way to convince me he was anything but a charlatan--just an ordinary man who duped people into believing he was a deity.  I genuinely enjoy Christmas music, family get-togethers, good food, and giving/receiving gifts.  I enjoy the way children make-believe in Santa Clause, and the excitement they show when they are given an awesome toy.  My birthday is actually on December 25!  To me, personally, these are the things I like about Christmas and the reason I celebrate it with my family. 

It's ok to tell me "Merry Christmas."  Many atheists shutter at being wished a merry Christmas, and I am keen on the reasons why.  Christians, on the other hand, are clueless.  They think that the secular society wants to abolish Christmas for some reason, and I don't know why it ever got to that point.  So if you are a Christian, I want to explain to you why it is rude to insist on wishing a merry Christmas to all non-Christians.

There are an abundance of holidays being celebrated in December.  Just off the top of my head, without resorting to Google for all the rest of them, I can think of Kwanza, Hanukah, and the winter solstice.  When I was a kid, I used to think that people said "Happy Holidays" because Christmas and New Year's were so close together and it was a shorthand for saying "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year."  As I learned about the myriad of cultures in these United States and the other religious and secular holidays celebrated in December, "Happy Holidays" made a lot more sense to me. 

As an American Christian, you'd think it was weird if in early-to-mid-October somebody walked up to you and said "Happy Canadian Thanksgiving."  Equally awkward would be if in February somebody said "Happy Defender of the Fatherland Day" (Russian), or if in May somebody wished you a "Happy Cheung Chau Bun Festival" (Chinese).  What if every December there were Happy Hanukah displays littering your hometown and every Jew became angry and critical if you tried to explain that Hanukah is a meaningless expression to you?

Insisting that everybody celebrate or even acknowledge YOUR holiday is rude and ignorant.  It'd be like if you knew a person who never wished anybody a happy birthday, ever, except when it was HIS birthday.  It is polite of you to acknowledge that Christmas is not universally recognized or celebrated, and it is rudely presumptuous to do the opposite. 

When people correct you, and suggest that you say "Happy Holidays," they don't mean to tell you that you can't celebrate Christmas, or even to suggest that you can't wish a merry Christmas to a person you KNOW celebrates the day.  I always say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukah" to those who I know celebrate each day respectively.  If I don't know what day the person celebrates, I say "Happy Holidays," but sometimes I slip up and say "Merry Christmas," and if I catch myself, I quickly correct it by adding "or Happy Holidays." 

I believe this is respectful and polite.  Manufacturing an inferiority/persecution complex in your attempt to guilt others into acknowledging YOUR special day that is meaningless to many others, is highly inconsiderate. 

Even though I don't believe in God, it's ok to wish me a "Merry Christmas" because I celebrate the commercialized version of the holiday.  I suggest that you Christians open your mind to the views of those differing from yours rather than pretend that the heathens are fighting to destroy your holiday.

Follow me on Twitter: @GodsNotReal_
Like me on Facebook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bible Endorses Slavery

Endorses is the key word in title of this blog post. The Bible doesn't merely condone  slavery. It actively endorses and promotes it. Slavery  is the second essential word in the title, because the Bible doesn't simply endorse indentured servitude as many Christian apologists argue. When the Bible discusses slavery, it isn't talking about people who owed a debt working to pay it off in lieu of settling with currency, as sources such as Answers in Genesis will attempt to have you believe. We're talking full blown slavery  every bit as immoral and wicked as it was for 18th-19th century North America. After reading this post, there'll be no uncertainty about truth claim I've made in the title, as the text within the Bible is perfectly clear. Unless stated otherwise, the text quoted below will be the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible. Leviticus 25:44 says "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you. From them, you may

Interview with @ProtoAtheist, a Biologist, About Evolution

Brendan, a biologist, goes by "Prototype Atheist" on social media challenges creationists to think critically about creation and evolution.  I asked him some basic questions about evolution and presented a few of the more common creationist objections to it. @GodsNotReal_ : What is your education and working experience? (Just to establish credibility) @ProtoAtheist: I have a Master's Degree in molecular biology and have worked for a diagnostics company as an R&D scientist for 8 years. @GodsNotReal_ : Can you operationally define what evolution is? @ProtoAtheist:  Biological evolution, simply put, is the change in allele frequencies over time in a population of organisms. Alleles are just different forms of a gene. Allele frequencies might change in a population via natural selection or genetic drift. Natural selection is when external pressures affect a population of organisms such that a specific allele or alleles become beneficial or detrimental relative to

Some Questions About Heaven...

I have a lot of questions about heaven, what it's like there, and who is allowed in. If you're a Christian who believes in heaven, you probably don't know all the answers, but I hope you'll give a lot of serious thought to these questions. Where is it? Is it literally in the clouds above, or some other mystical, magical space? If it is physical, how could we find it? If it is metaphysical, what special forces separate it from what I like to call "reality?" Is there weather in heaven? What if some people really like snow, wind, and rain, and others like perpetual sunshine? Is there thunder and lightning there? If there is, what if some people, like children, are afraid of it? How could anybody experience fear in paradise? And if God can magically make people not afraid of it, then why didn't he do that for us on earth? Who goes there and what are the criteria? Do you have to be a Christian? Is any version or schism of Christianity acceptable? Do