Skip to main content

Interview with Jennifer - A Christian Who Defends Gays and Atheists from Criticism

Jennifer's comment on a picture I posted on Facebook was a little unusual. I could tell that she was definitely a believer in God. But even though the meme I shared certainly was an attempt to accuse the Christian god of immoral behavior, and the friend who tagged Jennifer in the post was clearly attempting to provoke her to defend her Christian faith, Jennifer's comment instead tried to diffuse any argument by calling for peace. Usually I view these types of comments from Christian as passive-aggressive, condescending ploys. "I'm better than you and I know it, but I'll pray you see it my way," is the general tone I pick up on. But with Jennifer, something seemed different. She apologized to me on God's behalf. I started asking her some questions and eventually asked if she could answer a few more and allow me to post them on the blog in an interview format. Jennifer agreed. Find out why she defends gay people from Christian hatred, how atheists and believers can be nice to each other even if they disagree, and does she believe that god has no free will?

GodsNotReal_ : You commented on my post with apologies and usually I feel like when Christians do that, it's very condescending. But I didn't feel that way when you said you were sorry that God didn't make things a certain way. What do you feel like you were apologizing for?

Jennifer : I was apologizing for your negative experience of God. I have experienced only great things from God and I felt the need to apologize that we didn't have the same experience from God and are living different lives due to that difference.

GodsNotReal_ : Do you know anybody who doesn't believe in gods and do you talk about religion and atheism with them?

Jennifer : I currently don't have a big circle of friends, so the only friends I have are Christians. My sister used to be borderline atheist and I regularly had conversations about Jesus with her and discussed her unbeliefs. Eventually she came to Jesus but besides her, I don't really interact with anyone outside of my social circle on a regular basis.

GodsNotReal_ : How would you feel if one of your relatives or close friends came to you and said "I no longer believe in God?"

Jennifer : Personally, I would be really sad because of the great experiences I've had like I said, but I would just talk to them about whatever the reason they stopped believing and offer emotional support. My family (especially on my dads side) are VERY strict Christians so if any one of my cousins ever said they didn't believe in Jesus, I would offer them support and kindness because that would be hard to find with the rest of the family.

GodsNotReal_ : Have you ever seen a Christian make rude or condescending remarks to somebody skeptical of a Christian claim? An example would be if somebody said they weren't sure something in the Bible was real, and a Christian said "You better get right or else you'll be punished" (or something along those lines).

Jennifer : I have never heard a comment made by a Christian directly to someone who was non-christian but I have heard them referencing them. The most clear example I can think of are gays or people who commit suicide- Christians are so fast to condemn them and say unkind things but I stand up for gay people and people who have committed suicide or are thinking of it because at the end of the day, they are people too and don't deserve additional hate from those that should only emanate love

GodsNotReal_ : Have you ever seen an atheist make a rude or condescending remark to a Christian? An example would be "You are so stupid if you believe that" (or something along those lines).
God is Not Real

Jennifer : Again, I have never seen this kind of condescension in person, but I have a friend who posts Christian things all the time and his atheist friend who ALWAYS comments, telling my friend that his faith is dumb and Christianity makes no sense. Whenever I see this, I text my friend to make sure he is okay.

GodsNotReal_ : How would you react if you saw either of these? Would you offer emotional support to the person being insulted, no matter which side of the argument they were on?

Jennifer : I offer support for all people. This is how I see it: God made us ALL so we are ALL made in the image of God so to not offer support or reject someone because of what they say or what is said to them is, for me, rejecting God Himself. Remembering that definitely helps me to be nicer to people and offer support even if I don't agree with their POV.

GodsNotReal_ : Are you aware of any "bad parts of the Bible" and what do you think about them? An example would be 1 Samuel 15:3 when God instructs his followers in Israel to commit genocide and gives clear instructions to even kill the infants and every innocent animal.

Jennifer : I'm very much aware of them but have not done an in-depth study. However, I have taken many Old Testament Classes in college and I know that there was a reason for God to ask His people to do that- whatever the reason, it is beyond my capacity to understand but something that I would like to better understand. I don't know why God asked His children to do these things but I do know that His plan and purpose are always perfect.

GodsNotReal_ : Do you evangelize to people of different religions or beliefs?

Jennifer : I actually have not evangelized yet. I've done small things and just recently went on my first missions trip this summer but I have never gathered up enough courage to just do it on my own. I have horrible social anxiety but that is definitely something that I am working on and trying to get better at. Not to shove Jesus-talk down their throats but to just tell them about Jesus and love and see where they stand.

GodsNotReal_ : Do you think that religion motivates your politics? Are you a typical conservative Republican?

Jennifer : I’m actually not into politics at all. I don’t care for Democrats or Republicans. I just care that responsible people are in charge

GodsNotReal_ : You said you stand up for gay people, but why do you do that when the Bible is pretty clear about penalizing gay people and even straight people who stand up for gay people?

Jennifer : The Bible is also clear that Jesus loves tax collectors and all sinners. Jesus cared about the person first and then their spiritual condition. Gay people are just people just like I’m a straight person but I’m still a person. We all need love and grace, no matter our gender preference. I’m not gonna hate on gay people just because the Bible says they shouldn’t be gay; the Bible says that we shouldn’t do a lot of things but Christians still do them and are still loved so why not love gay people?

GodsNotReal_ : How do you feel about abortion? If you're against abortion, what are your thoughts on the people who protest outside abortion clinics, or even those who threaten violence against women seeking an abortion or abortion doctors?

Jennifer : I am completely against abortion and I think that people who protest against it have it all wrong. Again, Jesus didn’t go to the brothels or places where sinners met and had picket signs and told them they were going to hell. He was kind and loving; He let them know that they were sinners, yes, but He did not let that get in the way of grace. People today get so angry with sin that they forget the grace element of it all and forget that God uses grace to save them, so they should in turn show grace.

GodsNotReal_ : How do you define the word "grace" in a Christian context?

Jennifer : Grace is, in a Christian context, favor. God's grace gives us favor even though we are all horrible sinners, me included. Grace gives me the ease of mind that I am forgiven and the freedom to change my behaviors that are less than great. Since we have been shown so much grace by God, it is only fair that we show the same amount of grace toward people, Christian or non-Christian.

GodsNotReal_ : Have you ever met with a Christian who has very opposite ideas and beliefs than you, and if you have or do in the future, would you still consider them a Christian? For example, if a person who calls himself/herself a Christian says that gay people literally should be stoned to death as it says in Leviticus do you think that person is still a Christian?

Jennifer : I have family members that are really strict Pentecostals and they believe things that I don't believe. Examples being they don't believe in tattoos, wearing makeup, pants for females, cutting hair, etc. They feel like they are....holier than those that don't. I, who used to be a worship leader before changing churches, have currently 11 tattoos and wear pants and that does not make me any less Christian than them. We are all equal in God's eyes definitely. And even still, it is not our works that save us, but Jesus alone. Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us " For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." We are all Christians because of grace and nothing else.

GodsNotReal_ : Please describe what you think "Hell" is like and who goes there. Do you think an atheist who is a really good person but doesn't believe in any god deserves to go to hell?

Jennifer : Hell is a lake of fire to put it simply. I think the worst part of hell is not that someone will be tortured forever but that they have to be eternally separated from God. The torture in and of itself is unimaginable but to know that creatures that God made have to live without Him ever again is what makes it unbearable. I don't think anyone deserves to go to hell and God doesn't want to send His children there. But Jesus said in John 3:16 that whoever believes in God should not perish, and He later says in John 14:6 that no one can get to the Father except through Him. To make it to heaven it's simple- believe that Christ is the Lord and trust in Him. That's all Jesus wants from us- a relationship with His sons and daughters. It breaks His heart to send His children to hell- Lucifer was His favorite angel and He still had to send Him to hell. It breaks His heart but God also has to be just and let us know that there are always consequences for not doing what we should do (believing in Jesus).

GodsNotReal_ : Isn't torturing somebody in fire an excessive consequence? Humans don't burn people at the stake anymore, because we figured out it was immoral, excessive, and wrong. Why hasn't God figured this out yet?

Jennifer : To be honest, dissing God our entire lives is excessive. He literally created us and people do what they shouldn’t do-sinning. He doesn’t want to send people to hell...God doesn’t want us to suffer but He made it clear since the beginning of time that there will be consequences for our actions and unfortunately that’s a consequence for living a life of sin. It breaks His heart but He has to do it because He said He would

[Editor's Note: When I eluded to god having no free will in my intro paragraph, I was referencing this question and answer. If god doesn't want to send people to hell, but he has to do it any way, doesn't that mean god lacks free will?]

GodsNotReal_ : Do you think that I could choose to believe in Jesus if I wanted to? Do you think you could choose to believe in a different god if you wanted to? Could you choose to believe that Jesus is make belief but Zeus is real?

Jennifer : For Jesus, I don’t think it’s a choice at all. At first, of course, it is. We choose to follow Him, we choose to obey. But then after a while it doesn’t become a choice. For me, choosing to believe in God isn’t a choice because I’ve experience Him personally. If I chose to believe in Zeus, eventually I will choose to not believe because there will not be anything real and tangible to hold on to. With God (and it might sound crazy to you) but He has spoken to me and has delivered me from a lot of demonic stuff in the past. With these experiences, I can’t choose to not follow Jesus. As for you, like I said earlier, it would be a choice. But then God will show up and show Himself in a way that makes it impossible not to choose Him.

Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/godsnotreal/
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GodsNotReal_


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bible Endorses Slavery

Endorses is the key word in title of this blog post. The Bible doesn't merely condone  slavery. It actively endorses and promotes it. Slavery  is the second essential word in the title, because the Bible doesn't simply endorse indentured servitude as many Christian apologists argue. When the Bible discusses slavery, it isn't talking about people who owed a debt working to pay it off in lieu of settling with currency, as sources such as Answers in Genesis will attempt to have you believe. We're talking full blown slavery  every bit as immoral and wicked as it was for 18th-19th century North America. After reading this post, there'll be no uncertainty about truth claim I've made in the title, as the text within the Bible is perfectly clear. Unless stated otherwise, the text quoted below will be the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible. Leviticus 25:44 says "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you. From them, you may

Interview with @ProtoAtheist, a Biologist, About Evolution

Brendan, a biologist, goes by "Prototype Atheist" on social media challenges creationists to think critically about creation and evolution.  I asked him some basic questions about evolution and presented a few of the more common creationist objections to it. @GodsNotReal_ : What is your education and working experience? (Just to establish credibility) @ProtoAtheist: I have a Master's Degree in molecular biology and have worked for a diagnostics company as an R&D scientist for 8 years. @GodsNotReal_ : Can you operationally define what evolution is? @ProtoAtheist:  Biological evolution, simply put, is the change in allele frequencies over time in a population of organisms. Alleles are just different forms of a gene. Allele frequencies might change in a population via natural selection or genetic drift. Natural selection is when external pressures affect a population of organisms such that a specific allele or alleles become beneficial or detrimental relative to

Some Questions About Heaven...

I have a lot of questions about heaven, what it's like there, and who is allowed in. If you're a Christian who believes in heaven, you probably don't know all the answers, but I hope you'll give a lot of serious thought to these questions. Where is it? Is it literally in the clouds above, or some other mystical, magical space? If it is physical, how could we find it? If it is metaphysical, what special forces separate it from what I like to call "reality?" Is there weather in heaven? What if some people really like snow, wind, and rain, and others like perpetual sunshine? Is there thunder and lightning there? If there is, what if some people, like children, are afraid of it? How could anybody experience fear in paradise? And if God can magically make people not afraid of it, then why didn't he do that for us on earth? Who goes there and what are the criteria? Do you have to be a Christian? Is any version or schism of Christianity acceptable? Do